Monday, January 13, 2014

Apple iPhone Battery Life

The title of my article should include 'or lack thereof' due to my findings. I will explain.

I am a proud owner of the iPhone 4S model, i bought it used from someone is great condition and it became my primary phone at the time. I love the phone, with the exception of one thing; the battery.

The topic about battery life cycle and degrading is nothing new; this has been around ever since batteries existed. However, i am rather disappointed with the iPhone's default factory battery because i (and many other users) have found that its battery only lasts one year before if finally starts to show signs of wear. The issue i have with this is that the Apple warranty only lasts one year, it ends just before the battery shows signs of wear. I suppose the logic is that, 'your going to upgrade anyways, so why bother?', but if you are a user like myself and have items for a long period of time, you are quite bothered.

So i purchased a powerpack for my iPhone, it seems to do well but the issue of a shot battery still remains. I find that it is rather crucial to have a good battery on the inside, especially when your on vacations (particularly overseas where you would be out and about, away from source of power) for the reason that a shot battery turns the iPhone into nothing more than a power sucker.

So i proceeded then to researching on buying a new internal battery for my iPhone, and i was quite surprised. At only a price of $10, you could get a replacement battery with the necessary tools to open up the phone and self-replace the battery. It was, really easy, and i would highly recommend doing this yourself (watch youtubes on how to open the iPhone for a better understanding).

Check this out:

BATTERY
Apple Default: 1430mAh Li-ion Polymer 3.7V-5.3Whr
Replacement: 2680mAh  Li-ion Polymer 3.7V-5.3Whr

So with $10, not only are you replacing your battery and acquiring the tools necessary for taking the phone apart, but you are also upgrading the capacity of the battery by over by almost 2 times! Just another example of Apple wanting to shorten the life of your phone so you may quicker upgrade the new phone that they (coincidentally) come out with nearly every year.

Replacing is as simple are 4 screws on the iPhone 4S, so why bother with an upgrade when you do not need to? Here is what i got:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190909512516?redirect=mobile
Feel free to drop comments about this with me, i did this to my personal phone before writing this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment